Saturday, September 29, 2012

JUST SAY NO (NITRIC OXIDE)


Dr. Esselstyn spoke last week at the Portland VegFest about the importance of nitric oxide and how it protects the endothelium in the arteries of the heart. He told the audience to eat dark leafy greens six times a day because they produce nitric oxide. Even the act of chewing the greens mixed with the saliva in your mouth produce nitric oxide and have a protective value for your heart.  So I decided to take his suggestion and begin eating greens 6 times a day. Well it wasn’t so simple, but I did it!  This past week I have eaten greens at every meal including snacks. Let me tell you the hardest part of it all was just getting in the 6 servings. Maybe I’m crazy but I have felt different this week--healthier. 

“Today the doctor spoke about protecting the endothelium, the layer of cells that lines the arteries. He described the importance of nitric oxide, a gas that keeps your blood flowing smoothly and prevents stiff arteries and high blood pressure... 
Esselstyn is a big proponent of nitrite-containing leafy greens, which promote nitric oxide in the endothelium. His leading choices are arugula, chard, kale, spinach, beets, beet greens and bok choy. “I want patients to eat leafy greens six times a day,” he said, recommending greens at every meal, including breakfast. “And I adore it when you have an evening snack of kale.” “Nobody has ever gone to the emergency room with an overdose of green leafy vegetables,” he said.” --Teresa Bergen, Portland Vegetarian Examiner

I also learned that oatmeal produces nitric oxide. Esselstyn says More oats = more nitric oxide! So with my steel cut oats for breakfast I had spinach. Honestly, it’s amazing how fast you go through a large bag of greens when you are eating them 6 times a day. 

Below is a video by Dr. Greger that explains the science behind nitric oxide and eating foods high in nitric oxide. 


How many times a day do you eat dark leafy greens? Would you be willing to take up the challenge and eat them 6 times a day? Let me know what you think.



No comments:

Post a Comment