Monday, January 16, 2012

Caribbean Pink Beans


I love, love, love beans!  Needless to say, beans & lentils are a staple at my house. I experiment with all types and eat them for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.  If I skip my beans for breakfast, by lunch I am craving them. So when I saw this recipe I just had to try it. The plantains add a delicious flavor and are high in complex carbohydrates. They are high in potassium, magnesium and phosphate and can help with lowering blood pressure and fight against heart disease.  
CARIBBEAN PINK BEANS
Ingredients: 
1 pound Dried Pink Beans
2 medium Plantains, finely chopped
1 large Tomato, rinsed and finely chopped
1 small Red Bell Pepper, rinsed and finely chopped
1 medium White Onion, finely chopped
1 ½ Tbsp Garlic, minced (about 3 cloves)
1 ½ tsp Salt

Directions: 
1.  Soak beans overnight in 10 cups of water. Drain and rinse. 
2.  Place the soaked and drained beans in a large pot with enough water to cover them by about 1 inch.  Boil gently until beans are soft, about 1 hour.  Add more water while beans are cooking if water level drops below the top of the beans.
3.  Add plantains, tomato, red pepper, onion, garlic, and salt. Continue cooking at low heat until plantains are soft.
4.  Serve warm.

No comments:

Post a Comment